en - Re: [sympa-users] question to bouncemanagement

  • From: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>
  • To: Thomas Barth <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] question to bouncemanagement
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:21:31 +0100

Thomas Barth wrote:

Hi,

last Friday we send a newsletter to ~ 536000 community members by using
sympa for the first time. My fear Sympa could crash when handling this
amount of email-addresses didn't come true, but I needed to be prepared
for this case. In two hours the newsletter was send to all recipients.
Great job!

Isn't it ?

Now I have a question to the bouncemanagement of Sympa. Many emails have
been bounced from email-addresses identified as invalid, user unknown or
not active. Sympa put these emails to the bounce directoy. I deleted all
these files. Do my make a mistake?
Yes because you have lost the information about bounce that bounced.pl deamon is managing.

Now many messages are printed to the
maillog. For example:

Jan 27 12:45:24 webmail postfix/qmgr[9583]: C620F1C0B1A:
to=<address@concealed>, relay=none,
delay=179874, status=deferred (connect to
mailer2.freecity.de[81.88.35.57]: Connection refused)

What does this mean exactly? The broadcasting has already been finished
on Friday but still getting messages, that have nothing to do with
bouncing emails. I don't understand the reason "Connection refused"
because Sympa could send the emails and handle all bounced emails.
There is no relation with the bounce you have allready deleted. Thoses messages are still in postfix spools (not in Sympa's one) and postfix will delete them and report to sympa about the errors. This is managed by a delay that you probably can change in postfix configuration. The connection refused is refused by remote MTA such as mailer2.freecity.de not by you server.

Another question is if all email-addresses from those whose mailbox was
full have also been flagged as bounced.

Write but Sympa also manage the reason of bounces and bouncing emails will be removed from your huge list depending of number of bounces, list activity, reason of bounce, etc. Of course "mailbox full" is a reason that can be solve by the subscriber itself so Sympa will keep those email for more time.

Serge Aumont