en - Re: [sympa-users] sympa is not likeable

  • From: Elijah Saxon <address@concealed>
  • To: Benjamin Geer <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Sympa <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] sympa is not likeable
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:42:05 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Benjamin Geer wrote:

> Thomas Barth wrote:
> > my debian-system is set to sarge (testing) and I only get sympa version
> > 3.3.4b.5! I wonder why you get a newer version of sympa although you are
> > running debian as woody (stable)
>
> I'm not using the Debian package; I downloaded the Sympa source code and
> compiled it.

I emphatically agree: don't run the package. Sympa is too complex and
specific to each particular install to work well as a package except for
the most casual usage. You can pin the sympa package to install from
testing and still run stable, but that seems like a bad idea. And, as you
discovered, even testing is not very current. I think sympa is actually
easier to install manually, with the help of apt-get for the libraries
sympa needs.

-elijah