en - Re: [sympa-users] sympa is not likeable

  • From: Marc Haber <address@concealed>
  • To: Sympa <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] sympa is not likeable
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:04:23 +0100

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 10:35:01AM +0100, Thomas Barth wrote:
> my debian-system is set to sarge (testing) and I only get sympa version
> 3.3.4b.5! I wonder why you get a newer version of sympa although you are
> running debian as woody (stable)

The sympa packages for Debian are badly broken at the moment. It is
likely that sympa will be removed from Debian testing in the very near
future because of release critical bugs that probably lie in the
Debian packaging.

Generally, it is a bad idea to run testing on a machine connected to
any network since packages only migrate to testing if all their
dependencies are satisfied and the package is reasonably bug free. A
single buggy dependency keeps -any- new version out of testing and
might potentially delay security critical bug fixes for months. This
has happened in the past, and will happen again. There is -no-
security support for Debian testing. Don't use unless you know exactly
what you're doing.

Greetings
Marc

Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
Karlsruhe, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29