en - sympa vs smartlist...

  • From: Marco Gaiarin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: sympa vs smartlist...
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:15:20 +0100

I'm coming form a 4 year old smartlist experience, and still i consider
smartlist the best listmanager, it misses only a web interface, that
now is a needed things. ;(

But also sympa is a very good piece of software, i've installed it on a
server where list have to be managed by nontechnical users.
I consider very good feature the powerful web interface and the ability
to use LDAP database.

I've still a problem with it, and is a real low-level, where smartlist
seems unbeatable...

In smartlist there's an algorithm that ``calculate'' the real sender,
and is very effective, thanks to a very complicated procmail recipe.
In smartlist is common to have, in closed list, the from set to a
``foreign'' (not subscribed) addess, the sender a ``known'' (subscribed)
addess, and the message pass.
Really, this is the smartlist method to ``approve'' a message: the list
owner simply bounces the message back to the list.

I've setup also 2 closed list in sympa, but it sufficies to alter the
from to let the message pass. I send all the (home) mail from the
domain bbs.lilliput.linux.it , i've simply put in the from: the address
subscribed (marcogaio (at) libero.it) and the message pass.
I've done the same test from this (work) domain, sv.lnf.it.

This is known?! Is a bug or a feature?! There's some obscure feature of
sympa to enable strict sender check?!
If not, could be implemented the ``real sender identification''
algorithm in sympa?! I think is not so hard to convert a procmail
recipe in an equivalent perl regexp...

Please, say me something. Thanks.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia'' http://www.sv.lnf.it/

Linux Day 2003: Terza giornata nazionale di Linux e del Software Libero
http://www.lilliput.linux.it/ld2003/linuxday.php