en - Debian Package for Sympa

  • From: Michelle Murrain <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Debian Package for Sympa
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:20:56 -0400

At 8:41 AM -0700 5/30/03, elijah wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2003, Michelle Murrain wrote:

To be completely honest, the reason I am using debian's package,
instead of the source package, is because I tried twice and spent
hours and hours installing sympa from source on a debian system, with
no luck, but was able to get sympa going using the debian packages.

My personal feeling is that one should not install the debian sympa
package. I love debian and would never leave home without it, but sympa is
too complex and integrates with too many other programs to make for a
clean package. Also, I would only run 'stable' for a production machine,
and the stable sympa package is pretty old.

I found installing sympa on debian (stable) pretty easy. Step by step
notes at:

http://miso.riseup.net/notes/installation/

Well, I guess everyone has their own preferences on how to run debian. For me, since I do a lot of web applications, debian stable is just too old. And if I spent all of my time compiling packages from source because stable is too old, then why bother using debian in the first place? The common wisdom I've seen is that testing for production boxes is really OK. that's been my experience, for the most part. And the only recent testing nightmare I've had is with sympa. (BTW, the patches worked just grand - I'm back up to speed.)

There are plenty of complex packages, although I'll agree, sympa is one of the most complex around. But I don't think that means it shouldn't be used as a package. I think that working hard on getting the debian package to actually work well has a lot of benefits - it makes it easier for people to use Sympa, at least those on Debian. I know a number of people who have just simply given up on it because it was too difficult.
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain dot net http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575
SMS: 4132226350 at messaging dot sprintpcs dot com

"I am determined to cultivate only thoughts that increase trust and love, to use my hands to perform only deeds that build community, to speak only words of harmony and aid." - Thich Nhat Hanh