en - Re: [sympa-users] Highly dynamic lists?

  • From: John Dalbec <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Highly dynamic lists?
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:20:17 -0400

Olivier Salaun - CRU wrote:
John Dalbec wrote:

I have Sympa 3.3.3 in production currently. I was trying to send e-mails to several groups of people by creating a single list and updating the SQL query for each group. However, when I updated the SQL query, sympa kept using cached data for the mailing list.

You're right, we're lacking a members cache update after data_source related parameters were changed. It could either be performed by wwsympa.fcgi itself (if the job does not take too long) or ordered to the task_manager.

After any update, wwsympa.fcgi rebuilds its in-memory subscriber list. It looks like it also updates subscribers.db at that time.
How does sympa.pl decide whether it needs to refresh its in-memory list of subscribers? Does it compare timestamps? Configuration serial numbers? Or do you look at specific parameters in the configuration?

I dropped the lookup timeout to 1 second and that seemed to help, but shouldn't Sympa recognize when the configuration file has been updated and refresh the in-memory list of addresses? Does the in-memory list of addresses have a timestamp?

After I dropped the timeout to 1 second, I noticed that some subscribers were missed entirely. In some cases they had "email addresses" that were clearly invalid, but others had normal-looking email addresses and yet no email was sent to them. Any idea why this might happen? Is it because I changed _load_users_include to maintain the hash tie to subscribers.db and some changes were buffered? Or was it that the list configuration changed before sympa finished sending out emails? Is there any way for an end user to determine when it's "safe" to change the configuration?

It would be an interesting information to show on the admin web interface ; please add an entry to the "bug tracking" system about this feature : http://listes.cru.fr/mantis/

That wasn't what I had in mind. I see you do have a timestamp (plus a serial number) in $list->{admin}{update}, so you have enough information to detect when the configuration has changed.
Thanks,
John

Does 3.4.4.1 fix this?

No this behavior has not changed since Sympa 3.3.3.
We planned some work related to include2 for Sympa 4.0, including merging 'database' and 'include2' concepts.