en - Re: [sympa-users] Problems installing, configuring Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Kevin McCann <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Problems installing, configuring Sympa
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:24:19 +0100

Hi Kevin,

Obviously your wwsympa.fcgi does NOT run as user 'sympa' whereas it should.
If you have perl-suid installed then it might be a problem with wwsympa.fcgi that could have
lost its SetUID bit. It should look like this :

%ls -l /home/sympa/bin/wwsympa.fcgi
-rwsr-sr-x 1 sympa sympa 254215 Mar 7 16:36 /home/sympa/bin/wwsympa.fcgi*

Kevin McCann wrote:

I'm having problems getting started with Sympa. I first installed with the following scenario:

Sympa 3.4.3.1 / RedHat 7.2 / Perl 5.005

I was able to start Sympa, create a test list called "testlist" and even send a message to the test list. Then I decided that I wanted to use MySQL as a database so I changed the db settings in /etc/sympa.conf and I started getting error messages when trying to restart Sympa (DBI-related errors, mostly). I then spent a fair amount of time upgrading CPAN modules but ultimately decided I had to upgrade to Perl 5.8, which I did. I then added a few CPAN modules which were still required and then re-installed Sympa. The installation seemed to go OK and I was able to start the Sympa daemons. However, nothing works now. I cannot even create a new list. The errors seem to indicate permission problems.

When creating a list called xxx: unable to create /home/sympa/expl/xxx
When trying to have a password sent: Cannot create /address@concealed. ... : Permission denied

I have read a number of posts on the sympa site (FAQ, list archives) and elsewhere while doing searches. Some suggestions allude to perl-suid needing to be installed but it seems to already be installed.

Are there known problems with Sympa and RedHat and Perl 5.8? Has anyone been successful in getting Sympa running on RedHat? If so, what did you have to do?

--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites