en - RE: [sympa-users] Virtual Robot frustrations

  • From: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Virtual Robot frustrations
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:40:24 -0400

Sending your configuration files was a good idea, Michelle. Couple of
obvious problems with them, but first, let's make sure everything else is
right. For each virtual robot, you have:

-created a directory under Sympa's etc directory with the robot name
(eg. etc/mail.nosi.net)
-created a robot.conf file *in that directory*
-created a topics.conf file in that directory (can be a copy of the
primary domain's file) -- this is maybe still undocumented, but it
causes problems if it's not there for every robot including the
primary, hence the logged error message you're seeing
-completely killed and then started both sympa.pl and Apache when all
that is done, maybe a couple of times (somehow it seems to take two
tries for me sometimes, maybe because the order matters?)

You don't actually need to create the robot's directory under expl, as it
will be automatically created when you create your first list in that
robot. Now for the conf files...

robot.conf:

-leave out everything from the conf file that's the same as the primary
sympa.conf file, which is always read in first, to simplify this process
-the "domain" keyword is apparently a replacement for "host" (which is
what I'm still using), so only one of them should appear. In any case
you seem to have it set to nosi.net, when it should be mail.nosi.net
along with the other virtual host settings. In fact I think "host" is
a more intuitive name for it.
-in the "email" parameter, you have the whole address, but it's supposed
to just be the account name -- eg., "sympa" -- which gets concatenated
with the host name (domain) as the comment suggests.

sympa.conf:

-you have domain (host) set to "mail", but I think it needs to be the fully
qualified domain name -- ie. mail.nosi.net.

Try all of that and let us know....

adam