en - RE: [sympa-users] Virtual Robot frustrations

  • From: Michelle Murrain <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Virtual Robot frustrations
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:36:00 -0400

At 11:40 AM -0400 10/1/02, Adam Bernstein wrote:
Sending your configuration files was a good idea, Michelle. Couple of
obvious problems with them, but first, let's make sure everything else is
right. For each virtual robot, you have:

-created a directory under Sympa's etc directory with the robot name
(eg. etc/mail.nosi.net)

yup.

-created a robot.conf file *in that directory*

yup

-created a topics.conf file in that directory (can be a copy of the
primary domain's file) -- this is maybe still undocumented, but it
causes problems if it's not there for every robot including the
primary, hence the logged error message you're seeing

OK - solved one problem - now I see the list of topics, etc.

-completely killed and then started both sympa.pl and Apache when all
that is done, maybe a couple of times (somehow it seems to take two
tries for me sometimes, maybe because the order matters?)

Everything was in place here except the topics.conf file.

You don't actually need to create the robot's directory under expl, as it
will be automatically created when you create your first list in that
robot.

What to do with lists that were already created? In any event, this doesn't seem to work for me. I'll explain below.

robot.conf:

-leave out everything from the conf file that's the same as the primary
sympa.conf file, which is always read in first, to simplify this process

OK - did that.

-the "domain" keyword is apparently a replacement for "host" (which is
what I'm still using), so only one of them should appear. In any case
you seem to have it set to nosi.net, when it should be mail.nosi.net
along with the other virtual host settings. In fact I think "host" is
a more intuitive name for it.

OK - right now, just in case, both host and domain are fully qualified, and say the same thing: eg mail.nosi.net

-in the "email" parameter, you have the whole address, but it's supposed
to just be the account name -- eg., "sympa" -- which gets concatenated
with the host name (domain) as the comment suggests.

OK, thanks - the comment wasn't especially intuitive to me at least.

sympa.conf:

-you have domain (host) set to "mail", but I think it needs to be the fully
qualified domain name -- ie. mail.nosi.net.

OK. Did that.

Try all of that and let us know....

This is all set, started and restarted sympa and apache several times. I'm now in worse shape than I was before (well, sorta). I seem to still have only one robot (the domain set up in sympa.conf, mail.ursa-minor.com), and, when I go to any domains (I have three now set up) no lists show up at all. I have no access to any of the lists via wwsympa. I created a new list in one of my virtual robots, and not only does it not show up once created on the web interface, it also isn't underneath the virtual robot directory it should be in /home/sympa/expl.

Sigh. Thanks for the help! I need more!

In case this helps, here are some of my aliases in postfix - again, I'm using sendmail-style virtual hosts:

#-- SYMPA begin
## Aliases used for the sympa mailing-list manager
sympa: "|/home/sympa/bin/queue sympa"
sympa-request: postmaster
sympa-owner: postmaster
listmaster: postmaster

sympa-mail.nosi.net: "|/home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"
sympa-nosi.net: "|/home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"

I also have this new error message in my logs, which don't make sense:

Oct 3 08:30:25 mail wwsympa[4685]: Missing directory or config file for test
Oct 3 08:30:26 mail wwsympa[4685]: Missing directory or config file for test

But I don't have a list called test. I have one called "test-list1" and another one called "another-test" but not one called just "test".
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
address@concealed http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet." Frederick Buechner