en - Re: [sympa-users] encrypted password

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] encrypted password
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:41:03 +0200

Guenter Lau wrote:
> We have the problem:
>
> sympa write the password in database in encrypted mode.
> But when it read the password, it expects the unencryted mode.
>
> Example:
> When I change my password to "abc123",
> sympa saved it in the form: crypt.C1ha4w35HgN6P7
> The next login say: no password.
> If I change the password in database with editor,
> I write on the place crypt.C1ha4w35HgN6P7 the string "abc123",
> then I can login with "abc123"

Sympa used to store passwords NOT crypted.
It now stores passwords encrypted (with a reversible algo.) but still
recognizes uncrypted passwords, for compatibility reasons.

I guess your problems is due to your database field "password_user" not having
the right format (it has been extended to 40 chars to store crypted passwords.

> How can I subpress the encrypted mode by write the password
> or make, that sympa understands the encryted mode by read too.

Sympa encrypts passwords if the Crypt::CipherSaber module is available.
If you don't want encryption, just don't install this CPAN module.

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités