en - Re: [sympa-users] importing addresses in an *existing* list

  • From: Borut Mrak <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] importing addresses in an *existing* list
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:53:16 +0100

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 04:36:05PM +0100, Fil wrote:
> @ Fil (address@concealed) :
> > > Currently, you can add 1000 users to the list with the ADD command.
>
> In fact I didn't use that, because it would have sent messages to all these
> subscribers.

What about "quiet add listname address@concealed" ? I used that some time
ago,
when some Mac user cent me his Netscape "distribution list" or something
like that.

It was quite easy to parse out the addresses (the format was not clean,
but running strings list | grep @ | perl -ane 'print "quiet add listname $_"'
did the job for me. I just sent it to sympa then ;-] It didn't seem worth
bothering with gecos field.

> Instead, I used the method described some hours earlier to take a file based
> list to database ; and, miracle of sympa !, the subscribers I had before
> were still there after the switch from file to database in wwsympa !

I'm not really sure...but there is load_subscribers.pl distributed with sympa
that does this, I think. Or something like that.

hth,

--
Borut
address@concealed