en - RE: [sympa-users] Attachments

  • From: Don Head <address@concealed>
  • To: "'Aumont'" <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Attachments
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:39:05 -0600

>> I am running several mailing lists with Sympa. One of them has recently
>> been hit with several viruses. Is there a way to reject attachments on
>> a single list?
>
> Virus scanner is a very specific topics. Will never introduce antivirus
> code into sympa, but we plans to allow the plugging of some commercial
> antivirus (a few of them run on unix).
>
> This is in the TODO.

What about the possibility of stripping certain types of files
(like .exe and .vbs files). Is that a big rewrite? It would
be better than nothing, and I'm sure would satisfy most virus
needs in the meantime, as .exe and .vbs files seem to be the
most common (at least this month) types of viri floating
around.

If Sympa could just dump the .vbs and .exe attachments, or
bounce the e-mail back to the sender with a warning, I'd be
happy.

If the message is bounced, bounce it with this message:

"Your message was not delivered. Attachments ending in
.exe and .vbs may contain viruses. If you are sending
a legitimate file ending in .vbs or .exe, please enclose
it in a .zip file, or rename it so that it will pass
through this filter. Thank you."

or if the attachment is stripped, append this to the e-mail:

"This message had an attachment ended in .vbs or .exe. It
has been removed to prevent the spreading of certain
viruses. If you think this has been stripped in error,
please contact the sender directly and have him rename the
file or enclose it in a .zip file. Thank you."

Don Head
SAIR LCA, CIW-P, Network+, A+

Systems Administrator [ address@concealed ]
Web Designer [ 1 314 997-7847 ]
[ AIM - Don Wave ] [ ICQ - 18804935 ] [ Yahoo - Don_Wave ]