en - Re: [sympa-users] Attachments

  • From: Christopher Masto <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Attachments
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:46:17 -0500

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 09:27:06AM +0100, Aumont wrote:
> Don Head wrote:
> >

> > What about the possibility of stripping certain types of files
> > (like .exe and .vbs files). Is that a big rewrite? It would
> > be better than nothing, and I'm sure would satisfy most virus
> > needs in the meantime, as .exe and .vbs files seem to be the
> > most common (at least this month) types of viri floating
> > around.
>
> Currently , send.* scenaries can use any variable comming from
> headers but no one comming from the body. We plans to introduce
> body variable in order for example to be able to test any attachement
> content-type. In this case it will be easy to reject
> message that contain .exe .vbs and forward those who contain ".doc"
> and ".xls" to the list moderator.

It would be very useful to be able to:

* Reject messages containing any attachments.
* Strip all or a specific type of attachments (i.e. remove HTML, etc.)
* Limit maximum message size.

These sorts of things are available in most other MLMs. I like
Sympa's architecture, but it is difficult to run lists for
non-technical users without these features. They are always failing
to read the rules and sending viruses, HTML, and giant file
attachments.
--
Christopher Masto Senior Network Monkey NetMonger Communications
address@concealed address@concealed http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/