devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Sympatic unicode ?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Soji Ikeda <address@concealed>
  • To: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Sympatic unicode ?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 21:52:48 +0900

Marc, I want to say on some points:

n.b. By now, I haven’t decided utf8::all would be used or not.

2018/03/08 20:47、Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>のメール:

> hello,
>
>> I'm for using UTF-8 all across the board if possible, we just need to
>> understand the consequences.
>
> sure.
>
> is those lines seems very well known to me now, i don't know if i have
> to detail (please don't hesitate to ask questions anyone).
>
> use utf8;
> use open qw< :encoding(UTF-8) :std >;
> use feature qw< unicode_strings >;

:encoding and :utf8 behave differently each other. See the manual. It
depends which is better (or neither suit).

> utf8::all is more questionable:
>
> * should we load charnames ? probably not.

I don’t mind. Why do you think so?

> * should we use fc and unicode_eval features by default when we expect
> perl 5.14 to be the minimum requisit? probably not. i guess only fc
> will be missed as this is the very good way to avoid some weird bugs
> (https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/perl/pod/perlfunc.pod#fc)

fc() has already been used in Sympa 6.2. Please read source code. I don’t
understand what is “weird bug”.

> * should @ARGV be unicode characters: i think so ... not strongly.

I don’t know. Why do you think so?

> * should decoding errors be Encode::FB_CROAK ? recent posts seems to
> show that you're not fan of making perl die as soon as possible.

FB_CROAK behaves such. I don’t stop using Encode only this reason. Please
read my posts.

Regards,
— Soji