devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] simplification proposal: drop initscript installation

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] simplification proposal: drop initscript installation
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 15:46:45 +0200

Le 06/06/2014 07:58, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
I believe we also have to provide "simplification" from view of
administrators, not only developers.

Currently, once they run "./configure --options; make; make install",
they can start Sympa service.
That's an oversimplification. Installing additional dependencies, creating a database and configuring the service is also needed for the service to be operational.

Your proposal means that we give them a instruction describing
additional work to complete installation: to make lock directory,
PID directory and init script. And they must do it.
Creating those directories are only needed if you install in non-standard prefixes.

In short, such simplification on building process does not provide
benefit to users.
You should reread original message better:
- this will only impact users installing from sources
- this impact will be limited to having to manually install an initscript, if needed
- all users will benefit from better overall configuration consistency

Most server software native installation (check postfix, apache, bind, etc...) procedure don't deal with initscript installation, because there is way too much variation between target platforms to do it with a reasonable complexity/added-value ratio. And I don't think it prevent them from being used. Why should Sympa behave differently ?
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information