devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] simplification proposal: drop initscript installation

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] simplification proposal: drop initscript installation
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 14:58:58 +0900

Hi,

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 14:42:58 +0200
Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> The attached patch does the following:
> - it remove 3 options from the configure script (piddir, lockdir, initdir)
> - it stop substituting them in the sympa initscript template
> - it stop installing the sympa initscript
> - it transfers the no-more-a-template initscript from sources directory
> to documentation directory, as a sample
> - it turns SYMPA::PIDDIR constant into a piddir configuration directive,
> as other directories
>
> The benefits are:
> - code simplification, especially in non-critical part of the project
> (installation)
> - more consistency in configuration handling, by making all runtime
> directories part of the configuration (currently, tempdir is
> configurable, piddir isn't)
> The configuration change will benefits to all users, whatever their
> installation method.
>
> This change will negatively affects only users installing from sources
> AND using a standard sysinit init system: users installing from packages
> won't be affected. And the change is quite minimal: instead of passing
> switches to the configure script, they'll have to manually install and
> adapt the script themselves.
>
> Remember also than sysinit is more and more deprecated, in favor of
> alternatives such as systemd or upstart. It will far easier for us to
> just document and provide relevant samples, rather than actively support
> each alternative by introducing additional switches and complexity into
> our installation procedure.

I suppose piddir and lockdir are much useful and init script is
same.

I believe we also have to provide "simplification" from view of
administrators, not only developers.

Currently, once they run "./configure --options; make; make install",
they can start Sympa service.

Your proposal means that we give them a instruction describing
additional work to complete installation: to make lock directory,
PID directory and init script. And they must do it.

In short, such simplification on building process does not provide
benefit to users.

Regards,

--- Soji

--