devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[10314] trunk/src: [dev] use plain english names for magic variables

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[10314] trunk/src: [dev] use plain english names for magic variables
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 17:47:51 +0100

Le 03/03/2014 17:10, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
Hi,

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 17:01:40 +0100
Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed> wrote:

Le 03/03/2014 16:49, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
May use English names along with non-English names, however, if
multiple English names are given, only shortest one may be used.

e.g. $! and $ERRNO may be used but not $OS_ERROR.
Anyone shouldn't blame use of $ERRNO and others shouldn't blame
use of $!.
I disagree: why should we allow both forms to coexist ? What would we gain ?

I ask myself, "Is anyone can feel unreasonable to use English
names?". My deep psyche answers: "Someones prefer to $$ and others
prefer to $PID. They are havng unfinished struggles on the Net and
real world even today". So I proposed this issue not to be unfinised.
You're still not answering my question: what would *we* gain by letting
this kind of inconsistency subsist in the code *we* have to maintain ?

Basically, I just don't care about what the rest of the world think of
'$!' vs '$ERRNO', and other similar cosmetic issue. I just do care about
the preferences of people currently involved in Sympa. And my own
preference goes toward enforcing overall consistency, for better
readability first, for easier refactoring second.

We including you may normalize system variables to English
forms. However, such policy wouldn't be enforced on any contributors
nor any future developers. Such I proposed.
OK, sorry for my mistake.

But even if someone submited code with $OS_ERROR, we could also normalize it thereafter. And that's also true for indentation issues, etc... So what's the point of discussing what we are ready to accept, and what we are not ? Do we really have so much incoming contributions than we need to sort them out ?

Personaly, I've been enough rebuffed having my own documentation patches refused because of a few typos to avoid repeating the same errors with other people :)
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information