devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[10314] trunk/src: [dev] use plain english names for magic variables

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • To: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[10314] trunk/src: [dev] use plain english names for magic variables
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 08:01:28 +0100

hello,

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 12:18:26PM +0900, IKEDA Soji wrote:
> I suppose that the purpose of our discussion on this list is not
> only to reach agreement with us. The consensus we have reached
> should be shared by (present and future) contributors. In short,
> our ultimate goal is to publish some sort of "guidelines".

What i see from a little step forward is that one present contributor
waste a lot of time on this list, trying to defend each details.

If sympa is taking carre about contributions, so please:

* release and advertise the new version ASAP, don't
worry about details for the moment because they are really not
important! the important thing about this release is to have a clean
base *then* you can argue on pointless things.
* move the code on public forge (say github for example) use git and
* encourage branching and let SVN behind
(we can speak about it at French Perl Workshop?)
* if someone contribute, please don't comment every single patches into
long threads on the mailing lists.

> On reflection, as a committer of Sympa project, we may or may not
> reject some contributions because of not respecting some sort of
> guideline.

sure … and keeping being alone on sympa devel. …

another way is:

* welcome every patches gratefully
* eventually rewrite some parts of the patch yourself (then apologize to
the contributor … you know … guidelines are there to please the old
men of the projet … blah, blah, blah)
* encourage to provide more patches in the way they want

someone could be dedicated to welcome newcommers, helping them to enter
in the project.

But once again: please defer this discution to the moment where sympa should
be in a position to *actually* welcome new developers (which isn't the
case as long as the project will stay on a sourceforge SVN).

I'm not a fan of the Guillaume's style and convention, i'm not happy
about sympa not trying to introduce some Modern::Perl conventions (Moo,
Plack, …) and not using a web framework but the work Guillaume did is
just amazing and he did it on what i consider the best mailing list
manager ever.

So run, Guillaume! Comit without comments as long as they don't take
your commit bit off.

regards
--
Marc Chantreux
Université de Strasbourg, Direction Informatique