devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[10314] trunk/src: [dev] use plain english names for magic variables

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[10314] trunk/src: [dev] use plain english names for magic variables
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 00:49:22 +0900

Hi,

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 16:22:32 +0100
Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed> wrote:

> Le 03/03/2014 04:04, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > For example someones can prefer to $!, OTOH others $ERRNO or
> > $OS_ERROR.
> >
> > I feel nice to use English names for rarely used variables.
> > However, what means "rarely used" may be differ from one another.
> >
> > So I'll propose as below ---
> >
> > A) $_ and @_ :
> >
> > Use non-English names everytime.
> >
> > Never use $ARG and @ARG.
> OK for me. Actually, I didn't even realized the had aliases, I'm myself
> biased.
>
> > B) Other variables "mnemonic" of them are described in perlvar(1) :
> >
> > May use English names along with non-English names, however, if
> > multiple English names are given, only shortest one may be used.
> >
> > e.g. $! and $ERRNO may be used but not $OS_ERROR.
> > Anyone shouldn't blame use of $ERRNO and others shouldn't blame
> > use of $!.
> I disagree: why should we allow both forms to coexist ? What would we gain ?

I ask myself, "Is anyone can feel unreasonable to use English
names?". My deep psyche answers: "Someones prefer to $$ and others
prefer to $PID. They are havng unfinished struggles on the Net and
real world even today". So I proposed this issue not to be unfinised.

Regards,

--- Soji

--
株式会社 コンバージョン セキュリティ&OSSソリューション部 池田荘児