devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Release plans for 2014

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Release plans for 2014
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:18:51 +0100

Le 13/01/2014 08:54, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
Hi developers,

I'll tell on two issues I noticed when I was working on repository.

1. VOOT plugins may not work.
2. Reformatting sources shall be made in this week.

1. VOOT plugins may not work.

Besides the fact that some modules are imcomplete, they may not
work. Because they use accessor methods introduced by older 6.2
branch.

Of course we can rewrite them using conventional way of
$list->{admin}{foo}. Would we do this change in current development
stage?

2. Reformatting sources shall be made in this week.

Currently, we must work on three branches: 6.1, 6.2 and trunk.
Keeping these is sync will become more and more difficult due to
confused format.

Even if indentation, line folding or spacing are so nonsense, we
hesitate to fix them. Because, such fixes may make comparison
between revisions and/or branches difficult.
Thus, sources will become more and more unreadable and unmaitenable.

To leave such dead end, I will apply perltidy to all Perl sources
in all three branches, 6.1, 6.2 and trunk.
It doesn't make much sense to reformat a maintainance branch such as 6.1, with already 17 releases in the wild. In order to make 6.2/6.1 comparaison easier, it will make comparaison between 6.1.x and 6.1.y more difficult...

If you really need to compare 6.1 and 6.2, I think diff option --ignore-all-space should probably be enough.

- This is not a proposal. I'm notifying.

If you are currently making big changes on your local checkout,
I'd like to wait for it being committed. Please inform me.
Otherwise, I will make reformatting in this week.
I'm working on file content/properties/headers this afternoon, that's all for me.

- Reformatting will not make codes unstable.

- Since there are various preferences on coding style, perltidy
also have various options. I'll use attached .perltidyrc that
contains options with less objections by sympa-developpers folks.

- Though Guillaume doesn't want to use perltidy, this is useful for
us including him: He can present which style he is wished by
correcting styles on trunk. And anyway, uniform reformatting will
reduce Guillaume's work to get desired style.
Fine with me.

--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information