devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Release plans for 2014

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Release plans for 2014
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 11:47:44 +0900

David and all,

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:59:17 +0100
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

> [...]
> > real bugs): i18n improvements of CSSes and edit_list page seemed
> > to be neccessary. Without former, pages were shown very agirily,
> > especially by older versions of IE; Latter will let some
> > non-anglophone users (such as in Far East) shut thmeselves up :).
> > </NB>
> all right, thanks for the explanation. You're our i18n resident expert,
> so I totally trust you on this topic.
> >
> > BTW,
> >
> >> Branch 6.2: is still an unstable branch but will not stay this way. I
> >> want to issue a 6.2 beta as soon as possible. The branch started on
> >> revision 7678, which was the state of Sympa a year ago. This branch
> >> contains the code that is currently running on RENATER's production
> >> server (safe for the liste.renater.fr robot which runs under 6.1). I'll
> >> keep this branch in sync with the 6.1 branch by SVN merges. So we won't
> >> do any refactoring in this branch. Originally, Guillaume volunteered to
> >> make some cosmetic improvments in this branch but I don't feel it is
> >> necessary for the following reasons (explained by Guillaume):
> >>
> >> * anybody can do what he did, so Soji, Étienne and I can do it if we
> >> really want to
> >> * there will be refactorings in the trunk so it will becom soon very
> >> hard to port changes such as code layout. Better not miw them
> >> amongst branches
> >> * finally: thay are not necessary to have a running code and these
> >> changes could unstabilize and therefore delay the release of the 6.2
> >> version.
> >>
> >> Trunk: is the future 7.0 branch. Guillaume will work on it while we
> >> (Soji, Étienne and I) will handle the 6.2 and 6.1 branches. Like that he
> >> can peacefully work on code cleaning.
> >>
> >> I'll regularly merge 6.1 to 6.2 and 6.2 to trunk to prevent having two
> >> times the same commits in different branches.
> > In present, I'm working off-line for merger of changes/fixes in
> > 6.1-branch into 6.2-branch (it will take effect on-line in this week
> > or beginning of next week).
> >
> > I feel few difficulty on this work, however, I wish 6.2 and trunk
> > would be more or less in sync: To ease fixes ralating features common
> > over trunk and 6.2 (such as SDM framework), I wish at least relocation
> > of files (and also namespaces) could be also done in 6.2.
> >
> > Of course, it can be done by me.
> mmmm...
> This is tempting but it will again delay the 6.2 beta release. If we
> wait too much, we take the risk to release a 6.2 in february and an 7.0
> in july. that's a lot of releases. I'm not sure our users will really
> embrace them.
> Why not jut consider that our work in the 6.2 is done and just release
> it soon, even if it is not laid out as we wished? We can still take care
> of port bugs to the trunk even if it is not in the same shap as 6.2,
> can't we?
> So I agree for the port of bug fixes, but I am really doubtful about the

I rethought on this and consider that there are no need of any
synchronizations by the time of releasing 6.2.0: Merger work may
occur after it.

I'd like to do my best to keep term of release.

On 7.0, by now I cannot make sure that trunk will become the base of
development: There can be various trial, error and change of policy
(note that they by themselves are significant experiences).

At the moment I withhold to express ay or no to the plan on 7.0.

> >> Please remember all, before starting working, to synchronize your local
> >> version of the sources with the latest version of the repository : svn
> >> update.
> >>
> >> To sum up: I want to release the 6.1.18 as soon as possible (still need
> >> to fix two bugs in it) and release a 6.2 beta very soon too.
> > Two? I have noticed only one. What is another...??
>
> * a bug with spam scenarios
> * a bug with S/MIME: adding a footer will break signature. There
> should be a workaround
> * another S/MIME bug: some messages are unproperly encrypted
> * also a little change to ease adding files to be parsed in families.
>
> That's about it.

| * a bug with S/MIME: adding a footer will break signature. There
| should be a workaround

Perhaps I have fixed this on older sympa-6.2-branch, so I'll do it.

Regards,

--- Soji

--
株式会社 コンバージョン セキュリティ&OSSソリューション部 池田荘児