devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Release plans for 2014

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Release plans for 2014
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:59:17 +0100

Hi soji and all,

Le 07/01/14 18:31, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
David and all,
A happy new year three times!

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 17:23:43 +0100
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

Happy new year !

I just came back from holidays today - hence my lack of answers on this
list over the last days.

I'm glad to see that everybody is still eager to work on Sympa. I'm
baffled by the number of commits over the last few weeks... Thank you
everybody for your commitment in Sympa!

Now, it appears from the most recent discussion - should I say argument?
I think I could... ;-)    - - that we are not all on the same line about
what is planned, and who should do what on which branch. Let me clarify
this for you.

Branch 6.1: is a stable branch. We fix bugs mainly. We don't refactor on
this branch, we don't improve code design or layout - except if
necessary to fix bugs.
A number improvements are contributed by several external
developers (perhaps as the gifts on new year for Sympa users).

<NB>
* And on this occation, I personally "backported" some bug fixes
  from older sympa-6.2-branch-old.  I'd like to explain some
  not-so-ligtht changes (as someone may not take them as
  real bugs): i18n improvements of CSSes and edit_list page seemed
  to be neccessary.  Without former, pages were shown very agirily,
  especially by older versions of IE; Latter will let some
  non-anglophone users (such as in Far East) shut thmeselves up :).
</NB>
all right, thanks for the explanation. You're our i18n resident expert, so I totally trust you on this topic.

BTW,

Branch 6.2: is still an unstable branch but will not stay this way. I
want to issue a 6.2 beta as soon as possible. The branch started on
revision 7678, which was the state of Sympa a year ago. This branch
contains the code that is currently running on RENATER's production
server (safe for the liste.renater.fr robot which runs under 6.1). I'll
keep this branch in sync with the 6.1 branch by SVN merges. So we won't
do any refactoring in this branch. Originally, Guillaume volunteered to
make some cosmetic improvments in this branch but I don't feel it is
necessary for the following reasons (explained by Guillaume):

  * anybody can do what he did, so Soji, Étienne and I can do it if we
    really want to
  * there will be refactorings in the trunk so it will becom soon very
    hard to port changes such as code layout. Better not miw them
    amongst branches
  * finally: thay are not necessary to have a running code and these
    changes could unstabilize and therefore delay the release of the 6.2
    version.

Trunk: is the future 7.0 branch. Guillaume will work on it while we
(Soji, Étienne and I) will handle the 6.2 and 6.1 branches. Like that he
can peacefully work on code cleaning.

I'll regularly merge 6.1 to 6.2 and 6.2 to trunk to prevent having two
times the same commits in different branches.
In present, I'm working off-line for merger of changes/fixes in
6.1-branch into 6.2-branch (it will take effect on-line in this week
or beginning of next week).

I feel few difficulty on this work, however, I wish 6.2 and trunk
would be more or less in sync:  To ease fixes ralating features common
over trunk and 6.2 (such as SDM framework), I wish at least relocation
of files (and also namespaces) could be also done in 6.2.

Of course, it can be done by me.
mmmm...
This is tempting but it will again delay the 6.2 beta release. If we wait too much, we take the risk to release a 6.2 in february and an 7.0 in july. that's a lot of releases. I'm not sure our users will really embrace them.
Why not jut consider that our work in the 6.2 is done and just release it soon, even if it is not laid out as we wished? We can still take care of port bugs to the trunk even if it is not in the same shap as 6.2, can't we?
So I agree for the port of bug fixes, but I am really doubtful about the files relocation.

Please remember all, before starting working, to synchronize your local
version of the sources with the latest version of the repository : svn
update.

To sum up: I want to release the 6.1.18 as soon as possible (still need
to fix two bugs in it) and release a 6.2 beta very soon too.
Two?  I have noticed only one.  What is another...??
  • a bug with spam scenarios
  • a bug with S/MIME: adding a footer will break signature. There should be a workaround
  • another S/MIME bug: some messages are unproperly encrypted
  • also a little change to ease adding files to be parsed in families.

That's about it.

Best regards,

David

Best regards,

David
Regards,

--- Soji

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!
<https://sourcesup.renater.fr/tracker/?group_id=23>

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21

www.renater.fr <http;//www.renater.fr>
	RENATER
263 Avenue du Gal Leclerc
35042 Rennes Cedex

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Études et projets applicatifs

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21