devel - Re: [sympa-dev] address changes: why separate subscriber from owner/moderator?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] address changes: why separate subscriber from owner/moderator?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:23:45 +0100

Adam Bernstein wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Serge.

This is not so easy. One think we must keep in mind is that some listmaster (address@concealed) may accept some list creation from a particular person but not from another one. That's why on our list server privileged owners are not authorized to add/edit other privileged owners so the initial list creator can't desapear from the list config unless he request for it to a human person.

Change email feature should not be a way to change list owners in way that is not permitted by edit_list.conf

As for that, we also long ago eliminated the difference between owners and privileged_owners in edit_list.conf -- that was another source of user confusion and served no real purpose. All our owners are effectively privileged now. I understand the idea behind the distinction, but I think it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
The problem exist and is a "long term" issue : what some service provider don't want is to accept a certain list and 3 years later the list is completely transformed : the subject, the subscribers and the list owners have change. The new list is something you would not have accepted. It's a real issue not completely solved with the current state of Sympa. Appling list families concept to all lists would help. It is one of the paned development.

Serge