devel - Re: [sympa-dev] address changes: why separate subscriber from owner/moderator?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] address changes: why separate subscriber from owner/moderator?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:40:48 -0700

Thanks for the feedback, Serge.

This is not so easy. One think we must keep in mind is that some listmaster (address@concealed) may accept some list creation from a particular person but not from another one. That's why on our list server privileged owners are not authorized to add/edit other privileged owners so the initial list creator can't desapear from the list config unless he request for it to a human person.

Change email feature should not be a way to change list owners in way that is not permitted by edit_list.conf

As for that, we also long ago eliminated the difference between owners and privileged_owners in edit_list.conf -- that was another source of user confusion and served no real purpose. All our owners are effectively privileged now. I understand the idea behind the distinction, but I think it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

And in any case, if someone is changing their own email address, why would the listmaster not want to trust the new address as much as they trusted the old one? For us that's also a theoretical problem that doesn't have much weight in reality. But you have just helped me realize that I'm going to have to add scenario files (where there may be lists of allowed list creators or requesters) to the list of places where owner addresses have to be updated in an address change.

We will pleased to accept a patch for that new feature. This summer the development for alt_email feature will start according to this document : http://www.sympa.org/dev/altemail . When it will be done thje feature you request will have to be integrated with the new version.

Yes, that may complicate things a bit, but I guess we'll deal with that when we come to it.

ab