devel - RE: [sympa-dev] Loop Prevention

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "Paul Haldane" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-dev] Loop Prevention
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:55:49 -0000

> What types of loops is this trying to prevent? There are lots of
> valid messages which may come from address@concealed that
> list owners, and in our case list members, may wish to see, unless
> I'm misunderstanding the purpose or potential failings which not
> having this in-place would cause. Is there a reason we
> couldn't make this a per-list configuration option?
> I can understand not looping
> based on the X-Loop header, but what good does blocking
> anything from mailer-daemon do?

I've found (with other other MLMs - we're just starting out with sympa) that
there are enough badly behaved mail systems out there that will send error
messages (and out-of-office messages etc) to the wrongest possible address.
We had a report this morning of an out-of-office system that seems to be
sending out-of-office responses to the address given in the To: address of
the message distributed to list members. That's obviously a loop waiting to
happen - only didn't happen because the list was moderated. With our current
MLM (Mailbase) we re-route messages from the following local parts

mailer-daemon@
uucp@
listserv@
majordomo@
listproc@

to the list owners.

I agree that it may well be desirable to have this configurable per-list
given that the acceptable risk for different lists will vary.

Paul