devel - Re: [sympa-dev] TTL and cache subscribers.db files

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: John Douglass <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] TTL and cache subscribers.db files
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 16:52:19 +0100

Hi John,

John Douglass wrote:
Basics:
Sympa: 3.4.2
OS: Solaris 8

I have a very LARGE list (26,000+ subscribers) that is an "include file" list. When we were changing things on it's config, we noticed:

Dec 4 05:35:19 host.gatech.edu task_manager[13746]: Waiting for reading lock on /services/lists/expl/listname/subscribers.db
Dec 4 05:39:54 host.gatech.edu sympa[9502]: include 23962 new subscribers from file /services/megalist/listname/subscriber-file

This log entry comes from List::_include_users_file() that is either called
via List::_load_users_include() or via the new List::_load_users_include2()

Since the log tells 'sympa[9502]' it means that the comes from sympa.pl.
But sympa.pl never does List::_load_users_include2().

Are you sure your list has a 'include2' data_source ?

each time we attempted to update the config.

So it seems Sympa is written to update it's subscriber base anytime a config change is made? Even tho the TTL hasn't "expired"?

The job is performed by the task_manager, BUT it is performed ONLY if
data_source related parameters have changed.

I noticed that task_manager.pl is doing the TTL updates for "include2" type lists. Are there plans to move the updates out of the wwsympa.fcgi process because it sloooooows it down if you have a large list that updates more frequently.

That's how 'include2' works !!

A big more log (log_level 2) would help us understand your worries.

--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites