devel - TTL and cache subscribers.db files

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: John Douglass <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: TTL and cache subscribers.db files
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 08:50:40 -0500

Dev guys,

Basics:
Sympa: 3.4.2
OS: Solaris 8

I have a very LARGE list (26,000+ subscribers) that is an "include file" list. When we were changing things on it's config, we noticed:

Dec 4 05:35:19 host.gatech.edu task_manager[13746]: Waiting for reading lock on /services/lists/expl/listname/subscribers.db
Dec 4 05:39:54 host.gatech.edu sympa[9502]: include 23962 new subscribers from file /services/megalist/listname/subscriber-file

each time we attempted to update the config.

So it seems Sympa is written to update it's subscriber base anytime a config change is made? Even tho the TTL hasn't "expired"?

I noticed that task_manager.pl is doing the TTL updates for "include2" type lists. Are there plans to move the updates out of the wwsympa.fcgi process because it sloooooows it down if you have a large list that updates more frequently.

Maybe a "file_include2" that hands off the updating to task_manager?

Or am I off kilter on my diagnosis of the way it seems to operate?

Thanks a bazillion!
- John Douglass, Georgia Institute of Technology