devel - Re: [sympa-dev] include_list fallback

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • To: Aumont <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] include_list fallback
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:43:37 -0800 (PST)

hi

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Aumont wrote:

> external data source. There is a limit to that approch : we must not use
> old datas if they become "very old" datas. Sympa could use old data
> unless old datas are expired. We could define a new list parameter
> "expire" but it's easier to use a predefined value like 5*(TTL
> parameter).

I think it's better to use that old data no matter what if you can't get the
new data, but it's probably a good idea to warn the listmaster that data was
not updated since <date>.

> ps: we will include asap a important contrib from Harald Wilhelmi that
> will allow to store external datas catched by Sympa for list include
> into the internal database so synchonization will be performed by
> task_manager, for performence issue and it will be possible to mixe
> subscribtion and include in a single list.

This would be a good thing, but it's harder to handle unsubscription if you
have multiple sources, i.e. you should have an attribute in your database
saying where that particular subscription entry comes from.
Otherwise it's hard to maintain subscription, e.g.:
- you have list A including some entries from an SQL database
- user U is a static subscriber of list A, but it also included from the
SQL database via include_sql()
- then you remove the user from the SQL database
What happens to his static subscription in that case ?

--
rgds,
serge