devel - Re: [sympa-dev] include_list fallback

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] include_list fallback
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:27:40 +0100

Sergiy Zhuk wrote:

> Do you think it would be a good idea to have a fallback in case your data
> source is not available, e.g. your data source is include_SQL and the remote
> database is not available (connection refused, access denied etc) ?
Yes !
> If we already have the active cache file, I think it makes sense to use that
> old data instead of saying the list is unknown and removing digests...
Yes that a good idea, probably better then what we imagined : leave the
message in the spool in order to wait for a sucessfull access to
external data source. There is a limit to that approch : we must not use
old datas if they become "very old" datas. Sympa could use old data
unless old datas are expired. We could define a new list parameter
"expire" but it's easier to use a predefined value like 5*(TTL
parameter).

> It's fairly simply to implement:

You are welcome to propose one more patch !

> rgds,
> serge
rgds,
serge

ps: we will include asap a important contrib from Harald Wilhelmi that
will allow to store external datas catched by Sympa for list include
into the internal database so synchonization will be performed by
task_manager, for performence issue and it will be possible to mixe
subscribtion and include in a single list.

Serge Aumont Comité Réseaux des Universités
Campus Beaulieu
35042 Rennes Cedex