devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Language selection proposal

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Petr Prazak <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Language selection proposal
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:16:40 +0200

24.4.2001, Olivier Salaun wrote on subject `[sympa-dev] Language selection
proposal':

> We previously had the following line in WWSYmpa :
> $param->{'lang'} = $param->{'user'}{'lang'} ## User pref
> || $list->{'admin'}{'lang'} ## List pref
> || $ENV{'HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'} ## Navigator pref
> || $Conf{'lang'} ; ## Server pref

This couldn't work, because the variable looks mostly like this:
"cz,en;q=0.7,fr;q=0.3".

Moreover, the lang preference in Navigator has different language
codes than it is in Sympa, that's why i had to add the %country_map.

How about a special wwsympa.conf setting for language, meaning : take the
language setting from the env. variable, so as to steer the middle
course ?

Or, how about this:

$param->{'lang'} = $param->{'user'}{'lang'}
|| $list->{'admin'}{'lang'}
|| $Conf{'lang'}
|| &wwslib::get_pref_lang($Conf{'default_lang'});

Than would take the configuration value and if it is not defined, it
falls down to the env. variable and than to "english" (or a defined
default language).
This would please anyone including me. :)

> Here is how I consider WWSympa and internationalisation :
> What's most important is the server's main language ;
> WWSympa MUST respect it.
> It SHOULD moreover make it easy for a foreigner to see WWSYmpa
> in his/her native language, before loggin.

D'accord.

Best regards,
Petr Prazak