devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Language selection proposal

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Petr Prazak <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Language selection proposal
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:46:54 +0200

24.4.2001, Olivier Salaun wrote on subject `[sympa-dev] Language selection
proposal':

>> I'd like to propose the following patch that implements automatic
>> selection for WWSympa anonymous users. Their language preference is
>> taken from the HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE env. variable.

> I don't think HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGAGE is the right way to deduce the user's
> language (though I told you about it) because lots of people use english
> navigators (I use an english version of Netscape because it is the RPM
> distributed with RedHat).

It is just an excuse. :)
Even in the English version of Navigator you can say that you
prefer French before English. In Navigator, select Edit/Preferences,
Navigator/Languages and click on Add.

>> I will have a lots of Czech users, which have the Czech as default
>> language (usually with M$ IE) and it would help them a lot with
>> understanding the WWSympa interface.

> Didn't you define your Sympa's default language in sympa.conf ?

Well, but I plan to have foreign users as well (English, German even
maybe French speaking), so may site-wide language setting is English.

> Maybe we could make 'Preferences' available to anonymous (not logged in)
> users, so they can choose the User Interface's language. Then WWSympa
> has to set an additional lang cookie on the client's side.

Yes, it would be great.

Best regards,
Petr Prazak