devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Language selection proposal

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: Petr Prazak <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Language selection proposal
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:16:19 +0200

Petr Prazak wrote:

> I'd like to propose the following patch that implements automatic
> selection for WWSympa anonymous users. Their language preference is
> taken from the HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE env. variable.

I don't think HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGAGE is the right way to deduce the user's
language (though I told you about it) because lots of people use english
navigators (I use an english version of Netscape because it is the RPM
distributed with RedHat).

> I will have a lots of Czech users, which have the Czech as default
> language (usually with M$ IE) and it would help them a lot with
> understanding the WWSympa interface.

Didn't you define your Sympa's default language in sympa.conf ?

Maybe we could make 'Preferences' available to anonymous (not logged in)
users, so they can choose the User Interface's language. Then WWSympa
has
to set an additional lang cookie on the client's side.

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseaux des Universités