devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Language selection proposal

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: Petr Prazak <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Language selection proposal
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:26:28 +0200

Petr Prazak wrote:

> 24.4.2001, Olivier Salaun wrote on subject `[sympa-dev] Language selection
> proposal':
>
> >> I'd like to propose the following patch that implements automatic
> >> selection for WWSympa anonymous users. Their language preference is
> >> taken from the HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE env. variable.
>
> > I don't think HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGAGE is the right way to deduce the user's
> > language (though I told you about it) because lots of people use english
> > navigators (I use an english version of Netscape because it is the RPM
> > distributed with RedHat).
>
> It is just an excuse. :)
> Even in the English version of Navigator you can say that you
> prefer French before English. In Navigator, select Edit/Preferences,
> Navigator/Languages and click on Add.

We previously had the following line in WWSYmpa :
$param->{'lang'} = $param->{'user'}{'lang'} ## User pref
|| $list->{'admin'}{'lang'} ## List pref
|| $ENV{'HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'} ## Navigator pref
|| $Conf{'lang'} ; ## Server pref

We had MANY french people connecting to our server
(http://listes.cru.fr/wws/)
asking why our service's main page was in english.

Here is how I consider WWSympa and internationalisation :

What's most important is the server's main language ;
WWSympa MUST respect it.
It SHOULD moreover make it easy for a foreigner to see WWSYmpa
in his/her native language, before loggin.

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseaux des Universités