fr - Re: [sympa-fr] le futur de sympa vous intéresse t'il ?

Objet : Pour les administrateurs de serveurs de listes utilisant le logiciel Sympa

  • From: Philippe Gauron <adresse@cachée>
  • To: adresse@cachée
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-fr] le futur de sympa vous intéresse t'il ?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 12:19:34 +0100

Salut Marc,
ça me semblerait une bonne idée, et prendre 2 min pour le dire me semble bien le minimum que je puisse faire.

- Philippe.

Le 09/12/2020 à 11:44, Marc Chantreux a écrit :
salut à tous,

certains d'entre vous viennent de me signaler que cette discussion est
*privée* ... ci-après une copie de l'échange à cette heure.

si des gens sont prets a soutenir l'initiative, j'ouvre une issue
demandant la création d'une branche stable avec du semantic versionning.

Splitting branches?
@dverdin
dverdin
6 days ago

Dear all,

I discussed this by mail with Soji but I'd like to propose it here: Would it
be possible to split sable and development branches?

Currently, Soji maintains Sympa almost single-handedly and the last thing we
want is to see him being crushed by work.

But on the other hand, maintaining a Sympa with mixed refactoring,
improvements and bug fixes makes it difficult for user to follow the
releases, because sometimes, a bug arise.

If we had two different versions, 6.2 as stable and 6.4 or 6.3 or whatever as
the next stable, it would allow to make deep changes in the development code
without fearing to break running instances, and we could still fix bugs and
security problems in the stable branch.

Soji made it clear that he could not maintain both branches so somebody else
should maintain the stable branch. If no one more competent wants to, I
volunteer to do it.

Also, I would support the idea of Soji being release manager for the
development branch, the future stable version.

What do you think?

Cheers!
David
@dverdin
dverdin 1 hour ago Author

Hi everyone,

Indeed, @ikedas I did not quote you mainly because it was your thoughts, not
mine, so I preferred you publish them instead of me.

I agree with @ldidry about the denomination. I talked about stable and
development because it was how we called it during the CRU / RENATER era. But
if you feel long term support / cutting edge suits better, I agree.

To @racke : It is not that weird to have two branches. Most projects have a
stable release in which they only introduce bug fixes and an ongoing
development barnch in which they can make deeper and non reversible changes.
it does not change anything about workflow: you make quick bug fixes in the
stable branch to keep the stable version afloat and you make planned, long
term developments it the dev branch. It offers us the ability to break things
temporarily in the development branch if needed.
About deep changes, I remember you wanted to introduce dancer and
DBIx::Class. Did you give up about this?

In what I understand, until now :

@racke disagrees,
@ldidry agrees,
@ikedas agrees as long as he does not have to maintain the stable
branch. It is a good thing I proposed he stayed release manager of the
development branch and I or somebody else became release manager of the
stable one, then.

Any other advice?
@ldidry
ldidry 1 hour ago

Any other advice?

We need to talk about the tagging of the LTS branch. I propose 6.2.60-p1,
6.2.60-p2, etc. (if the LTS is the 6.2.60, of course). The -p1, -p2, etc is
for patch-level-1, patch-level-2, etc. We could use 6.2.60a, 6.2.60b but
after 26 bugfixes releases, we would have a problem.

Of course, we could also switch to semantic versioning instead, but I
remember that has already been discussed and was not accepted.
@xavierba
xavierba 20 minutes ago

I would prefer to use numbers for the LTS: 6.2.60.1, 6.2.60.2, etc... But I
agree semantic versioning would be nice imho, including for the fast moving
branch, eg 6.3.0, 6.4.0 rather than 6.2.60, 6.2.62, etc...

--
- Philippe Gauron
Laboratoire de Physique des 2 Infinis Irène Joliot-Curie

Archives gérées par MHonArc 2.6.19+.

Haut de le page