en - Re: [en@sympa] Mailman2 to Sympa on new Server

  • From: Patrick Cernko <address@concealed>
  • To: Scott Hall <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [en@sympa] Mailman2 to Sympa on new Server
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:06:58 +0100

Hi list, hi Scott,

On 22.01.24 20:44, Scott Hall wrote:
I am working on getting an old mailman server migrated over to Sympa. The new server is a different server all together.  And all that I have found related to the mailman2sympa migration scripts are for migration from mailman to Sympa on the same server. Consequently, all of the parameters in the configs relate to having mailman and Sympa on one server.  I am reaching out to the group to see if anyone can point me in the right direction to do this migration in a more manual way.

I have my list of lists, my list of members, and my list of owners and admins for all 100 lists that I need to move.  I have my original mailman archives with the .mbox format copied to the new Sympa server. I can come up with a way to script importing the lists and member easily enough I think.  If anyone has any scripts they've used for this I would be very grateful to see those.

But what I am struggling with is how to get the archives pulled into the new Sympa.  Can anyone help me understand how this could be done?  I do see this list of scripts that came in with the migration script and I wonder if I could use these with some tweaks:

dispatch_messages, loadsubscribers.pl, mm2s_admins,  mm2s_blacklist, mm2s_info, mm2s_unpickle.py, getmailmanarchive, mboxsplit, mm2s_aliases, mm2s_config, mm2s_subscribers, mm2s_users

Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated.

I'm currently working on the same issue. You can find my migration suite here: https://gitlab.mpi-klsb.mpg.de/pcernko/mailman2sympa

This is work in progress. Most documentation is still missing. It is based on several other scripts I found in the Internet.

Any feedback (maybe better off-list) welcome.

Best regards,
--
Patrick Cernko <address@concealed> +49 681 9325 5815
Joint Scientific IT and Technical Service