en - Re: [sympa-users] Message tracking does not seem to work with exim

  • From: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Message tracking does not seem to work with exim
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 14:03:11 +0200

On 21/07/2022 12:12, Lorenz, Sabine (SCC) wrote:

Hi all,

Sympa offers the possibility to activate tracking for a list and Sympa
requests a delivery status notification.

Does this mode DSN work for anyone of you with exim?

We are currently using Sympa version 6.2.60~dfsg-4 and Exim version 4.94.2-7
and on our server no emails are sent to list subscribers when DSN tracking
mode is enabled.

Hello Sabine,

Exim 4.94 introduce strict checking for tainted values, so it is possible
that your problem is caused by that.

Can you share your Sympa related Exim configuration?

Regards

            Racke

For this reason, on our production server, we have set the hidden value for
tracking in edit_list.conf so that list owners can no longer select this
option.

On the test server, after enabling the log_smtp parameter, I see the
following line in the Sympa log showing which sendmail process Sympa is
starting:

Jul 21 11:27:03 lists-test.scc.kit.edu bulk[148468]: notice
Sympa::Mailer::store() Forked process 152576: /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -odi
-oem -N success,delay,failure -V000036 -f
'address@concealed' --
address@concealed

However, this process cannot be handled correctly by Exim (especially the
parameter -N seems to be a debugging option with Sympa, which results in no
mail being sent):

2022-07-21 11:27:03 1oESSV-000dgu-Ii <= address@concealed U=sympa
P=local S=37728 address@concealed from
<address@concealed> for success delay failure -V00000036 -f
address@concealed --
address@concealed

2022-07-21 11:27:03 1oESSV-000dgu-Ii ** --@lists-test.scc.kit.edu:
Unrouteable address

<-address@concealed>: Unrouteable address

2022-07-21 11:27:03 1oESSV-000dgu-Ii ** address@concealed:
Unrouteable address

2022-07-21 11:27:03 1oESSV-000dgu-Ii ** address@concealed:
Unrouteable address

2022-07-21 11:27:03 1oESSV-000dgu-Ii ** address@concealed:
Unrouteable address

2022-07-21 11:27:03 1oESSV-000dgu-Ii *> | /usr/lib/sympa/bin/bouncequeue
address@concealed
<address@concealed>
R=sympa_verp_bounces_virtual T=sympa_pipe_bounces_virtual

2022-07-21 11:27:03 1oESSV-000dgu-Ii *> address@concealed
R=dnslookup_change_signature T=remote_smtp H=smarthost.kit.edu [2a00:1398:b::8d03:87b1]
C="delivery bypassed by -N option"

According to the Sympa documentation on the
https://sympa-community.github.io/gpldoc/man/sympa_config.5.html#sendmail_args
page, the -N parameter is passed by Sympa, but this seems to have a
different function with Exim than with Sendmail.

Do any of you have experience tracking email with Exim and does DSN mode work
for any of you with Exim?

Kind regards,

Sabine

----------

Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Steinbuch Centre for Computing (SCC)

Sabine Lorenz

Hermann von Helmholtz Platz 1
76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen

Telefon: +49 721 608-28633
E-Mail: address@concealed <mailto:address@concealed>
www.kit.edu/scc <http://www.kit.edu/scc-Adresse>

Sitz der Körperschaft:
Kaiserstraße 12, 76131 Karlsruhe

KIT – Die Forschungsuniversität in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft
/Das KIT ist seit 2010 als familiengerechte Hochschule zertifiziert./

Weltoffene Hochschulen-Logo

--
Automation expert - Ansible and friends
Linux administrator & Debian maintainer