en - Re: [sympa-users] List expiration date field?

  • From: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] List expiration date field?
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 11:50:13 -0700

On 5/13/22 09:33, Widerski, Betty wrote:

My current idea is to add a keyword and date in a list’s Description, then output a grep of all the lists’ info files for a line containing the keyword – but I don’t want to get into building external scripts to massage that output into a report of expire dates older than X, which my manager would like.

Yes you don't want to get into this, but this is the way we have had to do it until now. It's tricky, you have to look at last mail in the archive (but handle lists without archives), check the last time list config was changed, etc. Our scripts also have 3 thresholds, one at which the list is closed for being inactive, another at which inactive lists are considered dead and migrated to offline storage, and then another at which the offline storage is purged.

I would also like an "in sympa" solution for this, but I don't know quite what it would look like.

--
Matt Taggart
address@concealed