en - Re: [sympa-users] Hide the "Request a list" option

  • From: Gadi Vivier <address@concealed>
  • To: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>, Sympa Users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Hide the "Request a list" option
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 01:35:25 +0000

On 2020-05-25 08:22, Steve Shipway wrote:
On Mon, 2020-05-25 at 02:20 +0000, Gadi Vivier wrote:

Reading your email I realised that the scenari had to be somewhere
and

they couldn't simply not be there. I was looking in

"/usr/local/etc/scenari/", and I now see the scenari in

"/usr/local/share/sympa/default/scenari".

Adding the line "create_list listmaster" to the
/etc/sympa/sympa.conf

made things very simple.

Sympa has a heirachy of configuration; you can place configuration or
customisations in one of several places --

* Under the individual list configuration itself

* In the domain Robot configuration (this is the list domain, if you
have multiple list domains)

* In the global custom configuration (usually under /etc/sympa or
/usr/local/etc)

* In the global default configuration (.../sympa/default). Dont edit
these.

Sympa looks for something (a scenario, or a template) from the top
down until it finds one.

You should never modify the items under sympa/default as they can be
overwritten by an upgrade. Instead, copy them to etc/ and edit them
there. Overriding at list level is usually a bad idea but sometimes
necessary for special cases. Overriding at Robot level allows you to
have multiple list domains with different styles.

Sympa comes with a lot of pre-defined scenari for the various
functions that can be controlled by them. Scenari can be customised to
check against LDAP, certificates, identity (email address), IP address
and more. For example, we once had a scenario that would grant
different posting rights depending on the user's group memberships in
LDAP and if they were connecting from inside or outside the
organisation, and if authenticated via certificate or password.

You can look here for some help on scenari:

https://sympa-community.github.io/manual/customize/basics-scenarios.html
[1]

A scenario can cover access via either web, or email, or both. You can
also put different rules based on how the person authenticated. This
allows you to, for example, give different posting permissions based
on if the email is identified by just the 'from' address, or by an
s/mime signature. You can even create a custom rule for the scenari by
writing a function in Perl - I created a posting rate-limiter function
using this.

Thanks very much again Steve.
Your notes are really helpful and very appreciated.
Reading them, I did a test that I've posted here in case anybody else is new to scenari.
There is much to learn yet :-)

Best,
Gadi

The Sympa installation (6.2.54 from source on Debian 10) setup for 2 domains.

A. Hide the "Request a list" option on all lists on both domains.
B. Hide the "Request a list" option on all lists on 1 domain and show on the other.

===A===

The scenari (create_list.listmaster) that ships with Sympa lives in the default "/usr/local/share/sympa/default/scenari/"

Following your guide I added the line "create_list listmaster" to the /etc/sympa/sympa.conf file.

Restarted Sympa:
systemctl restart sympa.service
systemctl restart wwsympa.service

That prevents the "Request a list" option from appearing on the pages of all lists on the two domains.

===B===

Then, changing things so it hides the "Request a list" option on only one of those 2 domains, I removed the added line (create_list listmaster) from sympa.conf file and added to
/usr/local/etc/<DOMAIN>/robot.conf

Then restarted Sympa

systemctl restart sympa.service
systemctl restart wwsympa.service

The "Request a list" option is now hidden on all list pages on one domain and visible for the other domain.

===