en - Re: [sympa-users] scenari for request list possible?

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] scenari for request list possible?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 17:38:15 +0000

On Wed, 2020-04-15 at 14:32 +0200, Peter Heitzer wrote:
In search for a replacement of our currently used mailing list system (Mailman2.x) I found sympa. I could install a small test system with working ldap authentication rather easily.
After reading the docs a few unresolved questions about authorization scenari arised.
Is it possible to restrict the request for a new list in a scenari so that only users authenticated via ldap are allowed to request a new list?

As many have told you, this is absolutely possible, and I'd definitely recommend Sympa as a top candidate.

I migrated several very large Mailman systems into a single Sympa system about 10y ago (at my last employer) with great success. The only issues I had at migration were that the mailman2sympa migration utility cached list membership, so when I ran the 'real' migration it used some of the data cached form the 'test' migration the previous week.

Also, because Mailman uses a 'whitelist/modlist/blacklist' set of rules for posting, this didnt map so perfectly to Sympa's way of doing things - for some lists, we ended up with a lot of configured moderators to allow posting.

We developed a whitelist/modlist plugin for sympa to complement the existing blacklist functionality as some of our list owners wanted to continue working that way.

Being able to get rid of the 'daisy-chained lists' we used in mailman and replace with Sympa's 'external datasource - list membership' instead was a lot better for list members and owners. Linking Sympa to our single-signon SAML also made things far easier for list management. The API was a bit sparse but still able to integrate with all the other systems allowing us to consolidate a big variety of list management systems into a single multi-domain Sympa installation

Steve

--
Steve Shipway | Senior Email Systems Administrator
Phone: +64 9 302 0515 Fax: +64 9 302 0518