en - Re: [sympa-users] Disabling notifications to users of

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Disabling notifications to users of
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 11:21:31 +0000

On Thu, 2020-03-26 at 17:32 +0000, Bill Goins wrote:
Hi, is there a way to make sympa not send notifications about
messages forwarded to the moderators, rejection, unsubscribe.

This is definitely possible with a custom scenario, as someone already mentioned, by having the action "editorkey,quiet"

However, you might like to consider managing it differently.

When I worked managing Sympa at a university, we had a similar requirement; we wanted staff to post to the list, but not students. In fact, we also disabled subscription and unsubscription, as we tied list membership into the univeristy systems via LDAP so that students we automatically subscribed to the lists for the classes they were taking.

We also created a custom scenario, which allowed posting by staff members (via LDAP group membership, though you could do it by membership of a special list if you wanted to) but denied any posting by others, including students. This had the effect you want, but also prevented the moderators from having too much noise.

Next we went one step further, using our staff LDAP groups again, to allow staff in a specific department to post to the lists, but staff from other departments would be moderated, and students silently denied. To minimise load on our LDAP servers (there were a lot of lists) we set up special admin lists to hold the staff members who were permitted to post to the class lists, and then had the class list scenari check for membership of the soecial list to decide if to allow posting. This also allowed us to delegate management of this list to the department in question via normal methods, without having to grant full administrator anywhere.

The Sympa scenari are extremely powerful and can allow you a huge amount of control over who can perform various actions on a list, and what effect they have. You can even create custom perl functions to extend it - I have made one that performs rate-limiting on posts, for example https://github.com/sshipway/sympa-6.2-plugins

Hope these ideas help

Steve

--
Steve Shipway | Senior Email Systems Administrator
Phone: +64 9 302 0515 Fax: +64 9 302 0518