en - Re: [sympa-users] Getting started with SYMPA

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Christian F Buser <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Getting started with SYMPA
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 14:34:00 +0900

Christian, sorry for delayed response.

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 21:20:26 +0200
Christian F Buser <address@concealed> wrote:

> Mh - why did the reply not go to the list - only to the person answering my
> question?
>
> Cheers, Christian

Postfix looks included in macOS Sierra (and also High Sierra).

> - How can I get mails from the POP3 accounts at my access provider, and can
> I send using the provider’s SMTP server?
> a) Is there a possibility to instruct either SYMPA or Postfix to get the
> incoming messages?

Sympa itself cannot retrieve incoming messages. Sympa receives
messages passed by postfix running on the same server.

Additionally, if postfix on your server cannot accept SMTP
connections from the Internet, you have to manage another server
that accepts connections everytime and relays incoming messages
to your server.

If POP3 is only way you can use to retrieve incoming messages, you
have to manage it by yourself. For example: First you may write a
script to fetch messages with POP3 using fetchmail and to store
them to Sympa using sendmail. Second you may run that script
periodically by cron or launchd.

> b) I think there are some mail domains who do not like to receive messages
> directly from an MTA at a dynamic IP address. So sending using Postfix via
> the provider’s SMTP should be possible.

Postfix on your server may do such work. Sympa stores outgoiong
messages to postfix using sendmail. You have to configure postfix
to relay messages sent from localhost to SMTP server of your
providor.

Regards,

-- Soji

--
株式会社 コンバージョン
ITソリューション部 システムソリューション1グループ 池田荘児

  • Re: [sympa-users] Getting started with SYMPA, IKEDA Soji, 02/26/2018