en - [sympa-users] Sympa on a home computer (Mac)

  • From: Christian F Buser <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Sympa on a home computer (Mac)
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 21:39:48 +0100

Hi all

I am presently running 2 lists on an old MacMini with using "LetterRip 4.07".
This computer is located at my home, and not accessible directly from the
internet (it has a private IP address, and no port forwarding / DynDNS is
active) .

The lists have the following sizes:

1) nearly 600 subscribers with max. 10 messages per year
2) about 150 subscribers with 1 or 2 messages per month
Both lists are announcement lists where no discussions can be held.

Can I use / install Sympa in such a setup? The main obstacles are probably:

- the list server must be able to collect incoming messages, subscription
requests etc. from POP3-accounts in the "outside world"
- the list server must be able to send out messages using a provider’s SMTP
server and use SMTP-Auth

I have here 2 older Mac Mini machines:

1,66 GHz Intel Core Duo (Macmini1,1), maximum OS = 10.6.8 (this is the
machine running LetterRip at present)
2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Macmini4,1), maximum OS = "latest release of MacOS"
(the OS indications are from MacTracker, so they should be fairly accurate).

Are there any instructions available somewhere how I could set this up on one
of these Macs?

Or should I better get a Raspberry Pi mini computer and install Sympa there?

Thank you for all ideas.
Christian

--
Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Hilfe fuer Strassenkinder in Ghana: http://www.chance-for-children.org

  • [sympa-users] Sympa on a home computer (Mac), Christian F Buser, 02/23/2018