en - Re: [sympa-users] mailto-link robustness

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] mailto-link robustness
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 09:00:14 +1200

Hi;

I think this is more down to the behaviour of your mail client than the behaviour of Sympa.  Under my current mail client (Thunderbird) and my previous one (Outlook) it works correctly.

However, being compatible with as many mail clients as possible is always a Good Thing.  How about adding spaces before the final '>' and after the initial '<'?  This would keep the format that identifies a link to other mail clients, but give compatibility to mail clients that just look for a whitespace-terminated URL pattern in the text.

Another option (this is what we did in my last job) is to make the notification template a complete MIME-multipart, with a proper HTML section and a separate text section.  Then you do not need to rely on your mail reader dynamically adding links to the text itself, and the mail looks better as well.  In fact, it might be a good idea for Sympa in general for the default notification templates to be crafted in this way.

Steve