en - [sympa-users] Bounce management with qmail

  • From: "John Levine" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Bounce management with qmail
  • Date: 19 Apr 2017 22:38:58 -0000

I run sympa on FreeBSD with qmail as the MTA. It works pretty well
except for the bounce processing.

The simpler problem is that sympa's bounce processor demands that
bounces have message-id and qmail's don't. The IDs are optional, so
in this case qmail is right and sympa is wrong. I've kludged around
that by running the messages through formail before handing them to
bouncequeue, but it would be a good idea to fix the bug since it
means there are valid bounces sympa is not processing.

The more difficult problem is that qmail bounces are in a format
called QSBMF which was defined at about the same time as DSNs but
never got much traction despite being vastly simpler than DSNs while
just about as functional.

https://cr.yp.to/proto/qsbmf.txt

I put QSBMF support into majordomo2 and am planning to add it to sympa
but before I do, has anyone already done it?

Qmail can automatically do VERP on outgoing mail without having to
submit individual copies of messages, which allows for superb bounce
management, but that's harder to implement because qmail's VERP
syntax is somewhat different from sympa's.

Regards,
John Levine, address@concealed, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",

  • [sympa-users] Bounce management with qmail, John Levine, 04/19/2017