en - [sympa-users] munge From similar to X-Envelope-From?

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] munge From similar to X-Envelope-From?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 10:46:58 -0800

Sympa team and others -

We continue to run into trouble with DMARC-related issues, most recently with delivery to Office 365 users: Microsoft is now requiring alignment of DKIM signature and From: address, and since we can't easily tell what domains are hosted there, we are forced to munge all From: lines. (And they do this regardless of the sending domain's DMARC policy or lack of policy, so we can't use that to control behavior, argh.) But munging still brings up other issues.

The biggest problem is that some email clients (eg. Apple Mail), at least in some modes, will *not* reliably show you the actual From: line that contains the sender's name like "Adam Bernstein <via testlist>".

Instead, if you have ever received from that email address before, they remember the sender name from the *first* one ever received, and will continue to show you only that name on all future messages - not what is actually given as the current sender. So we can't force the current sender name to be displayed in all cases, and that creates too big a usability problem.

To force all email clients to show the sender name on all list messages, we would need the email address in From: to be unique for each sender, even when munged. So, instead of:

From: Sender Name (via listname) <listname@listdomain>

perhaps it could be more like the X-Envelope-From formatting, using a + address extension to create a unique address for this sender:

From: Sender Name (via listname) <listname+sender=domain@listdomain>

where the list address is listname@listdomain, and the original sender address is sender@domain.

That should work, yes? Does it bring up any technical issues I'm not thinking of? Would Sympa consider that change?

Thanks much for any input.

adam

--
Electric Embers Cooperative
Handcrafted hosting, powering the fires of change