en - Re: [sympa-users] one-click unsubscribe?

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] one-click unsubscribe?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 17:08:32 -0400

On 6/29/16 4:54 PM, Adam Bernstein (via sympa-users Mailing List) wrote:

Yes, this is possible, but (since the link is personalised to each user)
you need to use the MailMerge feature to do it. There is also the issue
that some webmail systems may pre-fetch any URLs in order to test them
(Gmail does this) which can result in users being unsubscribed simply by
viewing the email. Making a 'click to confirm' could help with this.

I'll echo Steve's warning - that fact is the whole frustrating reason that we haven't rolled out single-click unsubscribe, despite a great need for it among our users - but I will add one possibly simpler solution:

Instead of going all the way to an unsubscribe link, you could instead just add a "This message was sent to <email>" or "You are subscribed as <email>" to the footer. That way, the non-technical user still has much better information than they have now, with no risk of complications. We're planning to implement that compromise idea, just haven't gotten to it yet.

I guess we also get into the hassle of generating that many more email messages - It's kind of hard to bundle up 50 messages to one ISP, if each message is customized. Sigh...

Thanks,

Miles

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra