en - Re: [sympa-users] discarding mail from non-subscribers?

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] discarding mail from non-subscribers?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 08:02:06 -0400

Thanks again, Soji!

A little more follow-up....

On 3/30/16 7:33 AM, IKEDA Soji wrote:
Miles,

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 18:11:38 -0400
Miles Fidelman <address@concealed> wrote:

Thanks, Soji!

I wonder if you could elaborate just a bit - re. questions, inline,
below....

From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 00:21:51 +0900
Hi Miles,

2016/03/29 22:01、Miles Fidelman <address@concealed> のメッ
セージ:

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to clean up way too much backscatter being generated by our
Sympa installation. Which leads me to wonder a few things:

1. Is there a standard scenario that discards mail from
non-list-members,
rather than sending an error response?
"send.confidential" scenario (provided by Sympa 6.2.x) does such,
however, it
is so restrictive and may not always be useful for your purpose.

And, we're still running 6.1.20
I misled. "send.confidential" standard scenario is available on 6.1.17 and
later.

You can create custom "send" scenario to return the result "reject,quiet".
Is there any easy way to do this globally? Or am I stuck doing it
list-by-list?
Unfortunately, no easy way to do it globally, I think.

A bit easier way is hiding all "send.*" scenarios except "send.confidential" and then
modifying config of all existing lists. After this change, all lists will refer only
"send.confidential" scenario.

I'm not sure send.confidential does it - it looks to be the same script as private, moderated for non-subscribers:
title.gettext Private, moderated for non subscribers

is_subscriber([listname],[sender]) smtp,dkim,md5,smime -> do_it
is_editor([listname],[sender]) smtp,dkim,md5,smime -> do_it
true() smtp,dkim,md5,smime -> editorkey

I guess I really do have to edit it to
true() smtp,dkim,md5,smime -> reject,quiet

3. Does sympa have any good mechanisms for filtering/discarding
messages
sent to -owner and sympa@<domain>?
I was wondering more if any of the spam processing mechanisms apply to *-owner and such (i.e., discard anything labeled higher than xxx, by spamassassin).
In my experience, I have used amavisd-new as Postfix filtering service. It
can integrate SpamAssassin, anti-virus (ClamAV etc.) and DNSBL, and can
filter much malicious things before messages arrive at Sympa.

Sympa itself may cooperate with such softwares, however, I suppose filtering
unnecessary things in advance will help performance.

Sympa's directions for anti-spam say that it can make use of markings by spamassassin, etc. - but it's not clear that Sympa pays attention to these for the -owner address, etc.

Unfortunately, the dev-docs and such are not easily accessible to folks not at an affiliated institution.

Thanks,

Miles

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra