en - Re: [sympa-users] discarding mail from non-subscribers?

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] discarding mail from non-subscribers?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 20:33:39 +0900

Miles,

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 18:11:38 -0400
Miles Fidelman <address@concealed> wrote:

> Thanks, Soji!
>
> I wonder if you could elaborate just a bit - re. questions, inline,
> below....
>
>> From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
>> To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
>> Subject: Re: [sympa-users] discarding mail from non-subscribers?
>> Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 00:21:51 +0900
>> Hi Miles,
>>
>> 2016/03/29 22:01、Miles Fidelman <address@concealed> のメッ
>> セージ:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to clean up way too much backscatter being generated by our
>>> Sympa installation. Which leads me to wonder a few things:
>>>
>>> 1. Is there a standard scenario that discards mail from
>> non-list-members,
>>> rather than sending an error response?
>>
>> "send.confidential" scenario (provided by Sympa 6.2.x) does such,
>> however, it
>> is so restrictive and may not always be useful for your purpose.
>

> And, we're still running 6.1.20

I misled. "send.confidential" standard scenario is available on 6.1.17 and
later.

>> You can create custom "send" scenario to return the result "reject,quiet".
>
> Is there any easy way to do this globally? Or am I stuck doing it
> list-by-list?

Unfortunately, no easy way to do it globally, I think.

A bit easier way is hiding all "send.*" scenarios except "send.confidential"
and then modifying config of all existing lists. After this change, all
lists will refer only "send.confidential" scenario.

>>> 2. When one disables/deletes a list, how might one set sympa to discard
>>> messages rather than reply with an error?
>>
>> You can add an alias entry to discard messages (e.g. forwarding
>> messages to
>> /dev/null).
>>
>> If you want to automate this process, write customized
>> alias_manager.pl to
>> add entry and set its path to "alias_manager" configuration parameter.
>> (Note
>> that alias_manager.pl is executed by privileges of sympa user.)
>
> ahh.. the obvious
>>

>>> 3. Does sympa have any good mechanisms for filtering/discarding
>> messages
>>> sent to -owner and sympa@<domain>?
>>
>> You can also add an alias entry to discard messages sent to <sympa>
>> address,
>> instead of forwarding them to queue program.
>>
>> Note that this works properly with Sympa 6.2 or later. Earlier releases
>> essensially need <sympa> alias connected to queue program.
>>

>> And also, messages bound for the <*-owner> aliases may be forwarded to
>> bit
>> bucket or trash (by customizing list_aliases.tt2), if automatic bounce
>> processing is not important on your site.
>>
>> Anyway <*-owner> alias should exist, even if it discards everything,
>> because
>> this address will be used as sender of messages forwarded by Sympa and
>> many
>> sites verify sender of incoming messages.
>
> I was wondering more if any of the spam processing mechanisms apply to
> *-owner and such (i.e., discard anything labeled higher than xxx, by
> spamassassin).

In my experience, I have used amavisd-new as Postfix filtering service. It
can integrate SpamAssassin, anti-virus (ClamAV etc.) and DNSBL, and can
filter much malicious things before messages arrive at Sympa.

Sympa itself may cooperate with such softwares, however, I suppose filtering
unnecessary things in advance will help performance.

Regards,

-- Soji

--
株式会社 コンバージョン セキュリティ&OSSソリューション部 池田荘児