en - Re: [sympa-users] discarding mail from non-subscribers?

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] discarding mail from non-subscribers?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 18:11:38 -0400

Thanks, Soji!

I wonder if you could elaborate just a bit - re. questions, inline, below....

From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 00:21:51 +0900
Hi Miles,

2016/03/29 22:01、Miles Fidelman <address@concealed> のメッ セージ:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to clean up way too much backscatter being generated by our
> Sympa installation. Which leads me to wonder a few things:
>
> 1. Is there a standard scenario that discards mail from non-list-members,
> rather than sending an error response?

"send.confidential" scenario (provided by Sympa 6.2.x) does such, however, it
is so restrictive and may not always be useful for your purpose.

And, we're still running 6.1.20

You can create custom "send" scenario to return the result "reject,quiet".

Is there any easy way to do this globally? Or am I stuck doing it list-by-list?

> 2. When one disables/deletes a list, how might one set sympa to discard
> messages rather than reply with an error?

You can add an alias entry to discard messages (e.g. forwarding messages to
/dev/null).

If you want to automate this process, write customized alias_manager.pl to
add entry and set its path to "alias_manager" configuration parameter. (Note
that alias_manager.pl is executed by privileges of sympa user.)

ahh.. the obvious

> 3. Does sympa have any good mechanisms for filtering/discarding messages
> sent to -owner and sympa@<domain>?

You can also add an alias entry to discard messages sent to <sympa> address,
instead of forwarding them to queue program.

Note that this works properly with Sympa 6.2 or later. Earlier releases
essensially need <sympa> alias connected to queue program.

And also, messages bound for the <*-owner> aliases may be forwarded to bit
bucket or trash (by customizing list_aliases.tt2), if automatic bounce
processing is not important on your site.

Anyway <*-owner> alias should exist, even if it discards everything, because
this address will be used as sender of messages forwarded by Sympa and many
sites verify sender of incoming messages.

I was wondering more if any of the spam processing mechanisms apply to *-owner and such (i.e., discard anything labeled higher than xxx, by spamassassin).

Thanks Again,

Miles

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra