en - Re: [sympa-users] Question on Looping (possible bug)?

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Question on Looping (possible bug)?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 07:39:47 +0100

Le 2016-03-23 18:13, Matthew Caron a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I'm having an interesting problem which I thought I'd share. Setup:
>
> 1. I have address@concealed as the email address which goes to queue.
> (Which I will call the 'command address'. I am not sure what the
> developers call it.) As in, this is what my exim aliases line looks
> like:
>
> sympa: "| /opt/sympa/bin/queue sympa"
>
> 2. If some not nice person sends an email with a spoofed from, being
> address@concealed to address@concealed, the mailing list sits there
> talking to itself, replying back and forth that there are no commands
> in
> the email, taking longer and longer to parse the email each time and
> eventually pegging the CPU, until I break the chain by setting the
> alias
> to be my email address and letting the failure come to me.
[...]

Hi there,

We are seeing a similar behaviour since a couple of weeks that leads to
memory starvation on the machine as the messages get bigger and bigger
everytime Sympa handles them.

Our pattern is mostly identical:
1) Spam/malicious person sends a messages with a forged "From" header
that matches the robot's address.
2) To a moderated list
3) Sympa replies to itself that the list is moderated and the message
is waiting approval
4) Sympa replies to this last message telling it there's no valid
command in the message
- Watch Sympa looking between 3 and 4 until you clean the queue from
these messages.

Implementing a fix would be really nice !

Thanks,

--
Hervé